Saturday, November 17, 2007

Addendum: Theodore Roosevelt Jr

OK, I know this is far afield, but you have to alow me a little room - it's my blog after all. :) This one sold for $399.00.




THEODORE ROOSEVELT, JR. ALS: "Theodore Roosevelt Jr", 1p, 5x6½. 14 Wall Street, New York, [1916 April 1]. To Miss Colville. In part: "Grosvenor has told me the splendid news of your engagement. I wish to congratulate both of you on your great happiness. Grosvenor was a class mate of mine at Harvard and I cannot wish him too many of the good things of life. The first and by far the most important of these in my opinion is a wife and home...." Ink transfer from being folded. Lower right of letter water stained touching 3 words of text and smudging the salutation and signature. With original postmarked envelope, stamp removed, addressed by Roosevelt to Maud E. Colville, New York City. Soiled. Lightly stained. Torn top edge. THEODORE ROOSEVELT, JR. served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy (1921-1924), Governor of Puerto Rico (1929-1932) and Governor General of the Philippines (1932-1933). Theodore Jr. served in both WWI and WWII, earning the Congressional Medal of Honor for his bravery and valor during WWII. He died of a heart attack shortly after leading his men onto Utah Beach, Normandy, France, during the D-Day Invasion and is buried in Normandy alongside his brother Quentin, killed in World War I. Two items.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics