Saturday, August 08, 2009

Stuart Morton Boland and the Necronomicon

Back in 2007, I listed an article from the old Acolyte as a Lovecraftian curiosity. Now that the Derleth Letters have been published, more info is available - from HPL's side.

[24 Oct 1936] "Speaking of the bizarre - I had an interesting note the other day from an apparently scholarly chap in San Francisco - by name, Stuart Morton Boland - who announces himself as a librarian who has been all over the world studying esoteric elder parchments like the Necronomicon in various places sch as Budapest, Madras, Bombay, &c. He thinks there may be some substratum of truth behind my references to the Necro, & will accordingly be disappointed when he finds that Grandpa is a callous materialist. But I'm being very curteous in my disillusionment; since he seems to be an extremely pleasant sage, & has promised to send me some mysterious objects which he obtained at the cryptic pre-Nahuan Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan during a recent trip to Mexico. The latter will surely be welcome, since my private "museum" already contains 5 Central-American items - 2 early Mayan images, an earthen Aztec image, an Aztec bowl, & an earthen Aztec calendar-stone."

The only other reference I can find right now is:

[To Barlow, 16 September 1936] "...correspondence hammering on all sides ... I owe 7 letters now ... {on envelope} ... Just had an esoteric-looking communication from an occultly inclined nut in San Francisco who seems to be a sort of educated Bill Lumley. I'll enclose it in my next for your edification."

It's true that Boland was "scholarly" as can be seen with his article in THE ISLAMIC REVIEW of JANUARY 1951: Arab Contributions to World Civilizationby Stuart Morton Boland. Also here: click.

We also know from this journal that Boland was a graduate of University of California, Librarian of the Ocean View Branch of San Francisco.

Now, my original posts are below with some images ...

http://chrisperridas.blogspot.com/2007/12/lovecrafts-legacy-rare-acolyte-1945.html
http://chrisperridas.blogspot.com/2007/12/lovecrafts-legacy-1945-acolyte.html

... which refer to the ACOLYTE #11, Summer 1945. Of Lovecraftian interest is an article, "Interlude with Lovecraft" by Stuart Morton Boland. I have located, on line, copies of these pages!

I'll post the images later, which are from
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Acolyte/Acolyte11-15.html if you want to get a head start reading these pages.

I checked Wandrei's letters with no mention of Boland.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics