Friday, March 28, 2008

Whisperer in the Darkness and Dagon

Flying to Newark, I read "Whisperer" again.

I got to:

As I have said, I did finally drop into a troubled doze; a doze filled with bits of dream which involved monstrous landscape-glimpses. Just what awaked me I cannot yet say, but that I did indeed awake at this given point I feel very certain. My first confused impression was of stealthily creaking floor-boards in the hall outside my door, and of a clumsy, muffled fumbling at the latch.

Are you like me, when I immedaiately thought: Dagon! My copy was Penguin's call of Cthulhu &c, which is beginning to be a little worn out from reading. I flipped to the ending of Dagon and read:

Often I ask myself if it could not all have been a pure phantasm -- a mere freak of fever as I lay sun-stricken and raving in the open boat after my escape from the German man-of-war. This I ask myself, but ever does there come before me a hideously vivid vision in reply. I cannot think of the deep sea without shuddering at the nameless things that may at this very moment be crawling and floundering on its slimy bed ... I hear a noise at the door, as of some immense slippery body lumbering against it.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics