HPL declares in a rare rhapsodic outburst [To Galpin/Galomo, 31 August 1921], "...the voices of men shall sing the songs of boys - the songs of fifteen years ago - "In the Golden Autumn Time, My Sweet Elaine", "When the Mocking Bird is Singing in the Wild Wood" ..." and [To Kleiner 11 August 1921] "we shall go back to 1906 ... howling the old cheap popular songs of 1906..."
Never satisfied and seemingly with too much capacity for the trivial, Chrispy sought out for a date. When did all this bloody singing take place?? - assuming Lovecraft wasn't tripping on bad coffee.
Well, "Da Google" comes to the rescue. How did researchers ever research Lovecraft without it? Heh.
I tracked down the obscure, "In the golden autumn time, my sweet Elaine" to its inception as a Victor (double) release 9 January 1906 of a Stephen R. Henry composed song. See below.
A-2991 1/9/1906 In the golden autumn time, my sweet Elaine John H. Bieling ; Harry Macdonough ; Haydn Quartet Male vocal quartet, with vocal soloists and orchestra
C-2991 1/9/1906 In the golden autumn time, my sweet Elaine John H. Bieling ; Harry Macdonough ; Haydn Quartet Male vocal quartet, with vocal soloists and orchestra
Now he has misremembered slightly the other song which Chrispy found as another Victor recording entitled, "When the mocking birds are singing in the wildwood" by composer H. B. Blanke.
The notes are:
2/9/1906 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [unconfirmed]) 1 Master Victor 4665 8" disc
Authors and Composers Notes ... H. B. Blanke (composer) Arthur J. Lamb (lyricist)
Primary Performer Notes Harry Macdonough (vocalist: tenor vocal)
US Billboard 6 - Apr 1906 (1 week)
So, assuming that HPL did recollect the memory correctly - and he is proven over and over correct (unless he's caught spinning the facts, spin-meister that he was) we shall have to agree he was correct. They bicycled out 8 or 9 miles into Massachusetts singing melodies as they went. Since, it's unlikely they built any club houses in mid-winter, these song were playing and caught on through the late Spring and Summer of 1906. This would be pretty close to the date that Lovecraft gives for their ages - but he would have been 16 years old on 20 August 1906, a bit younger than he admits: [To Kleiner, op cit] "...we were boys of 16 or 17".
He also recalls the precise date of the new club formation as [To Kleiner, op cit] "... which had its last reorganisation on April 11, 1906 ..."
So, dear Lovecraftians, we have reasonably independent data that supports Lovecraft's memories on this one.
The latest of the two songs mentioned released February 1906 and hit Billboard's top in April for one week, and HPL recalls 11 April 1906 as the reorganisation meeting of the clubhouse expedition. Following that, they must have selected the far off Rehoboth location, solicited James Kay's help, and through that Summer of 1906 as HPL was turning 16 'they' rebuilt an old shack into a country club and had a grand time.
And as we see, it was still standing and intact on Monday, August 8, 1921.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Lovecraft Postcard at Auction (23 October 1933)
- Groovy 19th Century Cat Picture
- Providence of 1916
- "Their Names Were Written In the Book"
- Lovecraft Misses Religious Occasion
- La Concha Hotel circa 1931
- John Howard Appleton, Chemist
- Winslow Upton, Obituary in Science
- Winslow Upton, Ciriculum Vitae (circa 1904)
- Lovecraft's Father and The Columbian Exposition of...
- Sweet Adeline
- On The Banks of the Wabash
- Addison Munroe biography
- San Francisco Earthquake
- Chrispy Time Travelin': In Search of ... "Bedelia...
- More ... Clara Hess (1908)
- Providence Anecdotes, one with Clara Hess
- More ... Clara Hess
- More on Robert Morrow
- In Search of ... Mr. Manow (i.e. Robert Morrow)
- In Search of ... Clara Hess
- Elmwood and Potter
- Providence Blue Book of Society (1905)
- Empire Theater on Westminster
- E F Albee Theater
- Passing of Rev. Dr. Harry Brobst
- Old Hoyle Tavern
- Wilbur and Chick Meet the Dark Swamp Devil
- Rare Derleth Item
- Sherlock Holmes
- Did Young Howard Meet Baby Roger? (1893)
- More DWIG
- A Trip to the Used Book Store
- Lovecraft" The "gifted child"
- Butler Hospital
- Fanciful Tales 1936
- 1906 Alaska Lecture at Brown University
- 1916 Providence map
- In Search of ... James Kay, Civil War Veteran
- Ah, the Wondrous Google! And "The Great Meadow Hi...
- Chrispy Time Travel: In Search of ... The Snake R...
- In Search of ... A. P. May
- Hollow Earth
- 1910 Amateur Astronomy Book
- Lovecraft Loved Almanacs.
- Time Traveling Chrispy: In Search of ... Abbie A. ...
- Boston Store
- Yuggoth Alert !
- Hayward Park
- More Hayward Park?
- Old Providence
- Tracking the Elusive Lovecraft: "My Sweet Elaine" ...
- 1909 Market Square Old Car Station
- Controversy! Meteorite Raucus!
- New Comic !
- Sayles Hall
- Special Rhode Island Cat
- Giant Squids Returneth !
- Pluto (Yuggoth) Discovered
- Lovecraft ... and Charlie Chaplin!!!
- ▼ February (66)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)