Monday, July 19, 2010
A Divergence: Providence 1910 (Mowry)
Lovecraft had a slight bit of Mowry blood, but these 1910 pictures have nothing whatsoever to do with him. They were just too cute not to show.
The seller stated that these were of the Mowry-Inman clan.
I also have a soft spot when old family pictures go on the auction block - like Dicken's Marley, a soul banished to wander: unwanted, unremembered. But not today! We see and remember.
It looks like the date is a hot summer 4th of July as there is a small flag. Oklahom made it in November 16, 1907, so there are probably 46 stars on the flag. Look closely and you will see a tiny fragment of Providence in the background, an awning on some unnamed building.
OK, let's see, I guess Lovecraft was 19 years old when this picture was taken being roughly 7 weeks away from him turning 20. He was starting to think about studying chemistry by correspondence school, otherwise was keeping a low profile and coming out at nights.
What else? Hmm, recently it looks like I came across some information on Edwin E Phillips starting a number of new businesses about this time. I'll post about them one of these days. And, Lovecraft's passing friend, Philbrick, was in college by now - soemwhere I have a clipping where he was a stage manager for some Brown University prodction or other folderol.
Ah, Providence of 1910!
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Tracking the Elusive Lovecraft
- The Great Daylight Comet of 1910 and the Measles
- More Sea Monsters in Rhode Island
- An Aside: An 1859 Quaker Letter
- Real Life Rhode Island Sea Monster
- Lovecraftian- and Movie Star: Will Hart
- The Minions of Cthulhu
- Would you play this guitar?
- A Lovecraft ... Opera !
- Great HPL Art
- Friendly Aliens: Contents
- 1981 Book of Lovecraft and other Stories (Canada)
- 7 year old Lovecraft and Jack in the Beanstalk?
- A Divergence: Providence 1910 (Mowry)
- Handicraft Club
- Did Lovecraft See a Camel?
- Interlude: Use Google to Find Cool Lovecraft Fact...
- Dunwitch Horror (Part Two)
- The Dunwitch Horror
- Marius S Daniels of "The Snake River Company"
- A Providence Lawyer (1905)
- The Minions of Cthulhu Know All
- William Scoresby's mirage and HPL
- Old Providence (c. 1870)
- Samuel Loveman in the New York Times
- Charles D. Hornig ... October 23, 1933
- George W Kirk, Obituary NYT (1962)
- Charles D. Hornig ... January 20, 1934
- 1977 Rare Article (Vermont Horror)
- Ben Indick (1975)
- Is this Mrs. Wood?
- A Piece of Vintage High School Ephemera (1911)
- Some Providence Theaters in HPL's era
- English High School
- Charles D. Hornig ... September 24, 1933
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)