Text of recent auction:
This is a postcard from H.P. Lovecraft to Charles D. Hornig postmarked 4:30 PM Oct 23, 1933, Providence RI. Charles D. Hornig was editor of Fantasy Fan magazine, published a Lovecraft Memoir, edited Gernsback's Wonder Stories and Fantasy Magazine. The handwritten note from Lovecraft includes references to Fantasy Fan, (Clark Ashton) Smith; (Forrest James) Ackerman; (Robert H) Barlow; and his own article. It is signed HPL.
Smith (1893-1961) was author of Lost Worlds, Abominations of Yondo, Tales of Science and Sorcery etc. Ackerman (1916-2008) was one of science fiction's biggest collectors and promotors, editor, writer and agent who is credited with coining the term Sci-Fi. Barlow (1918-1951) was author, anthropologist, historian and longtime friend of Lovecraft and Robert Howard. He was Lovecraft's literary executor.
Howard Philips Lovecraft (1890-1937) was probably the most influential horror writer of the 20th century. The postcard is from the science fiction-horror collection of Joseph F. Hartdegen.
The postcard has the word General printed in ink at the left margin; the postmark surrounds and partially overlaps the HPL signature; otherwise
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Tracking the Elusive Lovecraft
- The Great Daylight Comet of 1910 and the Measles
- More Sea Monsters in Rhode Island
- An Aside: An 1859 Quaker Letter
- Real Life Rhode Island Sea Monster
- Lovecraftian- and Movie Star: Will Hart
- The Minions of Cthulhu
- Would you play this guitar?
- A Lovecraft ... Opera !
- Great HPL Art
- Friendly Aliens: Contents
- 1981 Book of Lovecraft and other Stories (Canada)
- 7 year old Lovecraft and Jack in the Beanstalk?
- A Divergence: Providence 1910 (Mowry)
- Handicraft Club
- Did Lovecraft See a Camel?
- Interlude: Use Google to Find Cool Lovecraft Fact...
- Dunwitch Horror (Part Two)
- The Dunwitch Horror
- Marius S Daniels of "The Snake River Company"
- A Providence Lawyer (1905)
- The Minions of Cthulhu Know All
- William Scoresby's mirage and HPL
- Old Providence (c. 1870)
- Samuel Loveman in the New York Times
- Charles D. Hornig ... October 23, 1933
- George W Kirk, Obituary NYT (1962)
- Charles D. Hornig ... January 20, 1934
- 1977 Rare Article (Vermont Horror)
- Ben Indick (1975)
- Is this Mrs. Wood?
- A Piece of Vintage High School Ephemera (1911)
- Some Providence Theaters in HPL's era
- English High School
- Charles D. Hornig ... September 24, 1933
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)