When I read the seller's excerpts of this letter, it struck me like something out of a Nyarlathotep sequel. And the language was enough to make Lovecraft's long s's swoon.
The writing is tough, but remember, click on the images and they should expand into a new window.
The seller's notes:
1859 PROVIDENCE, [RHODE ISLAND] LETTER - RAILROAD ACCIDENT; STORM - QUAKER - Autograph letter signed, E. A. Sheffield", Providence, 4th mo 3rd 59, 3 1/2pp, 5" x 8". Legible ink to cousin Lydia.
Personal content with interesting news on a storm and grim train accidents:
"...the wind blew violently during the day...The New Port boat could not get at the wharf...signs were blown down, empty boxes on the sidewalks were taken up in the air as high as the buildings."
"A man who was walking on the track in the vicinity of Olneyville was fatally injured day before yesterday by the engine of the Hartford Train which knocked him from the track and mangled his body in a shocking manner. He was taken to Dr. Miller's office at six o'clock and died. There was another who was caught under a bridge on Smith Street. His arm was badly hurt. It was amputated by Dr. Beckwith...."
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Tracking the Elusive Lovecraft
- The Great Daylight Comet of 1910 and the Measles
- More Sea Monsters in Rhode Island
- An Aside: An 1859 Quaker Letter
- Real Life Rhode Island Sea Monster
- Lovecraftian- and Movie Star: Will Hart
- The Minions of Cthulhu
- Would you play this guitar?
- A Lovecraft ... Opera !
- Great HPL Art
- Friendly Aliens: Contents
- 1981 Book of Lovecraft and other Stories (Canada)
- 7 year old Lovecraft and Jack in the Beanstalk?
- A Divergence: Providence 1910 (Mowry)
- Handicraft Club
- Did Lovecraft See a Camel?
- Interlude: Use Google to Find Cool Lovecraft Fact...
- Dunwitch Horror (Part Two)
- The Dunwitch Horror
- Marius S Daniels of "The Snake River Company"
- A Providence Lawyer (1905)
- The Minions of Cthulhu Know All
- William Scoresby's mirage and HPL
- Old Providence (c. 1870)
- Samuel Loveman in the New York Times
- Charles D. Hornig ... October 23, 1933
- George W Kirk, Obituary NYT (1962)
- Charles D. Hornig ... January 20, 1934
- 1977 Rare Article (Vermont Horror)
- Ben Indick (1975)
- Is this Mrs. Wood?
- A Piece of Vintage High School Ephemera (1911)
- Some Providence Theaters in HPL's era
- English High School
- Charles D. Hornig ... September 24, 1933
- ▼ July (38)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)