Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lovecraft Meets Kolchak (2008)


In the back of - all places - Scary Monsters Magazine #68 - I came across this note of interest.
Kolchak The Night Staler and The Lovecraftian Horror.
When I was in High School, I was mesmerized by a little made of TV movie called Kolchak: The Nivht Stalker. I glanced at TV Guide and my first thought is why in the world would ABC take a chance on a vampire movie? I was more of an SF person back then, but I actually tuned in and my jaw dropped. This thing of a TV movie was no disease of the week show. It moved with action, pace, and energy. After the Nixon scandals (I actually spent the summer of '72 watching the Ervin committee on B&W TV) so I knew that our government was conspiratorial, but wow! Kolchak really brought it out. He not only fought a vampire, but the entire Las Vegas county government.

In any event, it was many decades later that I realized that the mastermind behind the words was the fantastic Richard Matheson (no offense to Jeff Rice's original, which I've yet to read.) I understand that he did at least three scripts. Two were filmed, one wasn't.


So it appears that now Mr. C. J. Henderson has coupled HPL and Kolchak under one cover. It sounds like fun, and maybe I'll try to snag one of these on ebay soon. If you don't know Mr. Henderson's Lovecraft work, you should I'm a fan.


Here's what one blurb says of the graphic novel: After 30 years, it's finally time for the first meeting between Carl Kolchak, the Nightstalker, and the black and evil horror which is the Cthulhu Mythos, H.P. Lovecraft's enduring world of gods and monsters! Kolchak has seen it all, from vampires and zombies to witches, ghosts and even the minions of Hell, itself. By rights, nothing should shake this indomitable reporter anymore. But, when he starts to follow the trail begun by the photographing of a strange sea creature, one more reminiscent of the creature from the black lagoon than a shark or tuna, he suddenly finds himself being drawn into a nightmare world so fantastic, so utterly alien and frighteningly dark that even his massive psychic defenses begin to crumble. For once, Kolchak isn't just following a story. This time, he's crossing the threshold into another reality. One which could possibly destroy both his mind, and the entire world!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics