Hi, Lovecraftians. I collected a number of images of Westminster here. It's a s close as Chrispy can get from letting you stroll down the street with 20-something Lovecraft. Imagineer yourself there.
If you click on the image and expand it into a new window, you'll see Keith's Theater, part of the Albee circuit. Providence was very busy, and you'll see that circa 1912, long dresses were still the norm. Still several years away from "flappers". Street cars were prominent modes of transportation.
Below is the identical scene, only colorized. Uncannily, the cart in the street near the right pedestal clock is in the precise and identical spot! Other minor changes are visible in the photo, for instance an electric pole in the foreground as well as new (modern) curbing. Perhaps the postcard was an alternate photographic scene, taken the same day, and illustrated with retouches to remove certain features and enhance others. The first photo, by the way is from: (Page 111) THE GENUINE PATRIOTISM, an article from Volume 47 Number 3 in the May 1912 issue of NEW ENGLAND MAGAZINE.
As far as Keith's, here is the entrance a few years earlier.
And here is an elevated illustration of Keith's and its neighboring storefronts.
And here are other views of Westminster about the same time. It would not take much for a talented creative artist to create a virtual world of Lovecraft's Westminster, as there are so very mnay images of it from this time period.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- A Derleth Fanzine: Amazine
- KALEIDOSCOPE (1961)
- Interesting coincidence in early 1960's Baltimore
- MIRAGE #4 (1961)
- Hugog And Whipple Phillips
- Harold Munroe: Bits Found
- Market Square, Providence (circa 1900)
- Chester P. Munroe, Death Notice
- Westminster Sreet (1912)
- Good Ol' Sol
- CM Eddy Jr: Music notes
- 21 April 1898 - on Poets
- Lovecraft at the Theater: Robert Mantell
- A Tentacular Spectacular
- Wisconsin Meteor: Ground Zero Found
- Lovecraft Going to College
- Lovecraft's First Comet
- Hope Street High School Adminsitration (1903 ff)
- Lovecraft's 1907 Physics Class?
- Breaking News: Colour Out of Space and Over Wiscon...
- Lovecraft the Gardener: Why did he seize a vacant ...
- 1895 Images of Providence
- An anecdote from another observation
- Alien Life Found - on Earth!
- "Cooperative Observers"
- What is a "Sixe's Thermometer"?
- Storm Glass? What was Lovecraft Talking About?
- Providence Engineering Dept.'s Meteorology Report
- Lovecraft's Meteorological Work
- Ives Difraction Spectroscope
- Anvik, Alaska > Before "New Anvik"
- Lovecraft's Meteorological Equipment (1906) Part A...
- Some probable estimates about Lovecraft's 1898-189...
- More on Abbie A Hathaway and some revelations
- Lovecraft and Providence's "Honor Classes"
- School Vacations in 1898-1899
- Lovecraft in Context: 1902 Providence Faces Immigr...
- More on "Sabrina P. Prouty" (1891)
- How did Lovecraft get to Slater Avenue?
- A final note of Lovecraft's Little Book
- New York Times on Harper's Half-Hour Series
- Ulysses by Charles Lamb
- Harper's Half-Hour Series
- "Why not slough off consciousness altogether?"
- Providence Potential Flooding (2010)
- Providence Photos circa 1910
- ▼ April (46)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)