In S T Joshi's HP Lovecraft: A Life, p. 3 he quotes a reference whereby it states "at last fell prey to that noted demon, Hugog, and lost much of his hard eranings..." and " ...rascality of a pretended friend, Hugog...". This apparently was a person or concern that swindled through some pretense - a confidence man of soprts - that swept through Whipple Pjillips' part of Rhode Island in the latter mid-19th century.
Chrispy does not think this is the name of a person, but a nickname. In Welsh-English, a hugog was a term for a cloak wrapped about. It does not take much more than that a bit of imagination to presume that hugog became "Hugog" a confidence man. The 'hug/-" prefix appears to indicate to 'loosely wrap' (ensnare? to trip up?).
Note 'hugwd" is a ghost or phantom.
From: Geiriadur cenhedlaethol Cymraeg a Saesneg, ed. and enlarged by R.J. Pryse edited by Robert John Pryse
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- A Derleth Fanzine: Amazine
- KALEIDOSCOPE (1961)
- Interesting coincidence in early 1960's Baltimore
- MIRAGE #4 (1961)
- Hugog And Whipple Phillips
- Harold Munroe: Bits Found
- Market Square, Providence (circa 1900)
- Chester P. Munroe, Death Notice
- Westminster Sreet (1912)
- Good Ol' Sol
- CM Eddy Jr: Music notes
- 21 April 1898 - on Poets
- Lovecraft at the Theater: Robert Mantell
- A Tentacular Spectacular
- Wisconsin Meteor: Ground Zero Found
- Lovecraft Going to College
- Lovecraft's First Comet
- Hope Street High School Adminsitration (1903 ff)
- Lovecraft's 1907 Physics Class?
- Breaking News: Colour Out of Space and Over Wiscon...
- Lovecraft the Gardener: Why did he seize a vacant ...
- 1895 Images of Providence
- An anecdote from another observation
- Alien Life Found - on Earth!
- "Cooperative Observers"
- What is a "Sixe's Thermometer"?
- Storm Glass? What was Lovecraft Talking About?
- Providence Engineering Dept.'s Meteorology Report
- Lovecraft's Meteorological Work
- Ives Difraction Spectroscope
- Anvik, Alaska > Before "New Anvik"
- Lovecraft's Meteorological Equipment (1906) Part A...
- Some probable estimates about Lovecraft's 1898-189...
- More on Abbie A Hathaway and some revelations
- Lovecraft and Providence's "Honor Classes"
- School Vacations in 1898-1899
- Lovecraft in Context: 1902 Providence Faces Immigr...
- More on "Sabrina P. Prouty" (1891)
- How did Lovecraft get to Slater Avenue?
- A final note of Lovecraft's Little Book
- New York Times on Harper's Half-Hour Series
- Ulysses by Charles Lamb
- Harper's Half-Hour Series
- "Why not slough off consciousness altogether?"
- Providence Potential Flooding (2010)
- Providence Photos circa 1910
- ▼ April (46)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)