Thursday, March 15, 2007

Robert Bloch on an HPL Obscurantia Question



This seen (on ebay of 14 March 2007) & Described thusly by seller with bold by Chrispy:

... a hand written letter from author Robert Bloch to Sean McCarthy. The letter is dated March 26, 1991, and answers some questions that Sean must have asked in a previous letter. It is written on green, 8.5 x 11 inch paper. The text is as follows:
Dear Sean McCarthy: I've not heard about any H.P. Lovecraft detective film, and don't even know who Fred Ward is.There was, it seems to me, a book either by or featuring Frank Belkamp Long, in which Lovecraft solved a murder in New York in the 1920s - but I don't know the title. IT wasn't a semi-biography, but entirely fictional, and didn't make much of an impression on Lovecraft fans.No, I don't know where Colin Clive is buried, or how one would go about finding out. Since he died in 1937, when I lived in Milwaukee, it's difficult to determine the circumstances: his widow died in 1966 and there were no offspring. His actual death, like James Whales' seems to have been downplayed because of circumstances surrounding it. People I know who worked with him (Boris Karloff, Elsa Lanchester, Frances Drake) avoided talking about him - or Whale. Strange.The volume of the mis-titled COMPLETE ROBERT BLOCH I received is in paperback, though there seems to have been a hardcover too. Happy Easter!Robert Bloch.


This letter is guaranteed to be genuine, hand-written and signed by Robert Bloch. Sean McCarthy was a horror, sci-fi, and fantasy fan. He would write to many famous people, even sending them birthday cards. Some of the famous people would write back. This letter was in Sean's personal correspondence and was part of his estate. It has never been offered for sale before.

1 comment:

Jeff Barnes said...

Chrispy! I knew Sean McCarthy by mail. We corresponded in the early 1980s and had a falling out over a misunderstanding -- something I have always regretted. I tried to look him up and have discovered that he died in 2005, though I have no idea how. If you come across any more listings that were part of his collection, could you please let me know? I am trying to solve the mystery of what happened to Sean.
Thanks,
Jeff Barnes

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics