The year: 1915
A susceptible patron wanders into 221 Broadway to meet ... Frank H. Roscoe, speaker and message bearer.
Providence had psychics! Right in the path of Lovecraft's 25 year old gaze.
It's unknown if he ever met them, saw them, or opposed them. However, in two ephemera - theater programs - that Chrispy obtained, he found an advertisement for F. H. Roscoe. That led to a finding in the 1916 Spritualist: A Monthly Magazine Devoted to Psychical Research and Occultism, 1916, By C. P. Christensen.
In that magazine, we read of:
Frank H. Roscoe, speaker and message bearer, 221 Broadway, Providence, RI
He had a competitor:
Mrs. M. M. Darling, The Blind Medium, 533 Cranston Street, oppposite Bellevue Avenue.
Roscoe was a long time resident (as early as 1886) of Providence.
and he advertised in various ways
In addition, Roscoe was a man on the move. He filed with the Legislature (page 615) as below:
(4 April 1916) I, J Fred Parker, secretary of state hereby certify that Frank H Roscoe, William H Farnworth, Abel J Satchell, Arthur Hindley, and Albert T Marsh have filed in the office of the secretary of state according to law their agreement to form a corporation under the name of The Rhode Island State Progressive Spiritualists Association for the purpose of educational charitable and missionary work in the interest of the religion of spiritualism in accordance with law and have also filed the certificate of the general treasurer that they have paid into the general treasury of the state the fee required by law.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Lovecraft and Postcards
- Colour Out of Space in New Mexico
- Lovecraft to Eddy (5 September 1924)
- Lovecraft to Eddy (21 July 1924)
- Lovecraft Letter to Eddy (5 Spet 1923)
- Real Life Atlach-Nacha
- A Spritualist in Lovecraft's Providence
- Toro Interview
- Spiderman Vs ... the Lovecraft Mythos?
- Interlude: It's hot.
- H.P. LOVECRAFT JOURNAL (1976)
- JOURNAL OF THE H.P. LOVECRAFT SOCIETY
- Lovecraft Draws Pickman's Monster
- Fritz Leiber (1978)
- Professor Upton and the Ladd Observatory
- Guillermo del Toro talks At the Mountains of Madne...
- Clara Hess
- Halley's Comet: 1910 and 466 BCE
- Fifth Third Bank's Dracula 2010 Special Trailer
- Dracula Comes Back to Louisville
- Classic Dracula Theme (1931)
- Los Angeles Film Festival Poster
- A little Kronos Quartet and Dracula
- First Look at DRACULA at Actors Theatre
- The Alien in Lovecraft's Writing
- Lovecraft Movie Rumor
- Fi-Fi of the Toy Shop (circa 1922)
- Florence H Slack (Hope Street High School)
- Will Hart in Providence Monthly
- The Squid of 30 Million Young !
- Annie Gamwell and the Avon House
- Houdini in Paterson, NJ 1926
- The Pinfeather (1914)
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)