Monday, September 27, 2010
Lovecraft to Eddy (21 July 1924)
Seen at L W Currey:
Lovecraft, H[oward] P[hillips].
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS).
8 pages, dated 21 July 1924, to "Dear C M E Jr." [Clifford M. Eddy, Jr.], signed "yr faithful grandfather HPL."
Written on four sheets of 6 x 9 1/2-inch paper with Hotel Pantlind letterhead, from 259 Parkside Ave., Brooklyn, N.Y.
Approximately 1300 words.
A nice gossipy letter about the world of the pulps: who's in, who's out, which magazine is going under, which one is starting up, which writers have which stories in limbo at which magazines. "Henneberger is now the nominal editor of Weird Tales; but he owes the printer $43,000, & the latter may take over the magazine & publish it himself in Indianapolis."
Expresses frustration about getting any kind of weird material into All-Story, referring to its editor as "… Sister Bob Davis, that delicate soul for whose fastidious readers our rough frightful tales seem to be altogether too horrid & shocking & unpleasant."
Yet Davis' superior, Matthew White was even more dead set against it. Indeed, there were very few markets for the kind of material that HPL and his gang wrote.
Letter has faint mailing creases, but is in fine condition. (#109138)
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Lovecraft and Postcards
- Colour Out of Space in New Mexico
- Lovecraft to Eddy (5 September 1924)
- Lovecraft to Eddy (21 July 1924)
- Lovecraft Letter to Eddy (5 Spet 1923)
- Real Life Atlach-Nacha
- A Spritualist in Lovecraft's Providence
- Toro Interview
- Spiderman Vs ... the Lovecraft Mythos?
- Interlude: It's hot.
- H.P. LOVECRAFT JOURNAL (1976)
- JOURNAL OF THE H.P. LOVECRAFT SOCIETY
- Lovecraft Draws Pickman's Monster
- Fritz Leiber (1978)
- Professor Upton and the Ladd Observatory
- Guillermo del Toro talks At the Mountains of Madne...
- Clara Hess
- Halley's Comet: 1910 and 466 BCE
- Fifth Third Bank's Dracula 2010 Special Trailer
- Dracula Comes Back to Louisville
- Classic Dracula Theme (1931)
- Los Angeles Film Festival Poster
- A little Kronos Quartet and Dracula
- First Look at DRACULA at Actors Theatre
- The Alien in Lovecraft's Writing
- Lovecraft Movie Rumor
- Fi-Fi of the Toy Shop (circa 1922)
- Florence H Slack (Hope Street High School)
- Will Hart in Providence Monthly
- The Squid of 30 Million Young !
- Annie Gamwell and the Avon House
- Houdini in Paterson, NJ 1926
- The Pinfeather (1914)
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)