"... Ralibar Vooz departed .. the way steepened more and more; and it ran through chambers that were too vast for the searching of sight; and along precipices that fell sheer for an unknown distance ... on the verge of a chasm whose farther shore was lost in darkness ... Ralibar Vooz went close to the verge and saw that great webs were attached to it at intervals, seeming to span the gulf with their multiple crossing and reticulations of gray, rope thick strands. ... "O Atlach-Nacha, I am the gift sent by Tsathoggua."
Lovecraft's friend, Clark Ashton Smith, created Atlach-Nacha in his short story "The Seven Geases" (1934). As theory goes, Atlach-Nacha resembles a huge spider and dwells in a huge cavern deep beneath a mountain in the now vanished kingdom of Hyperborea (also the palyground of R E Howard's Conan) in the Arctic. It spins a gigantic web, bridging a massive chasm between the Dreamlands and the waking worldand when the web is complete, the end of the world will come.
Here at the HPLblog, Chrispy brings to you the most alien images of Nature - the real world is stranger than we can imagine. However, when we get there, Lovecraft and his friends have shown us part of the way, through the glass darkly.
Gigantic spider's web discovered in Madagascar
By Matt Walker
Editor, Earth News
This new species spins the world's longest web over 82 feet by some odd insect engineering. Known as the Darwin's bark spider it even builds its enormous web across rivers. It's not yet understood how.
news link here:
Saturday, September 25, 2010
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Lovecraft and Postcards
- Colour Out of Space in New Mexico
- Lovecraft to Eddy (5 September 1924)
- Lovecraft to Eddy (21 July 1924)
- Lovecraft Letter to Eddy (5 Spet 1923)
- Real Life Atlach-Nacha
- A Spritualist in Lovecraft's Providence
- Toro Interview
- Spiderman Vs ... the Lovecraft Mythos?
- Interlude: It's hot.
- H.P. LOVECRAFT JOURNAL (1976)
- JOURNAL OF THE H.P. LOVECRAFT SOCIETY
- Lovecraft Draws Pickman's Monster
- Fritz Leiber (1978)
- Professor Upton and the Ladd Observatory
- Guillermo del Toro talks At the Mountains of Madne...
- Clara Hess
- Halley's Comet: 1910 and 466 BCE
- Fifth Third Bank's Dracula 2010 Special Trailer
- Dracula Comes Back to Louisville
- Classic Dracula Theme (1931)
- Los Angeles Film Festival Poster
- A little Kronos Quartet and Dracula
- First Look at DRACULA at Actors Theatre
- The Alien in Lovecraft's Writing
- Lovecraft Movie Rumor
- Fi-Fi of the Toy Shop (circa 1922)
- Florence H Slack (Hope Street High School)
- Will Hart in Providence Monthly
- The Squid of 30 Million Young !
- Annie Gamwell and the Avon House
- Houdini in Paterson, NJ 1926
- The Pinfeather (1914)
- ▼ September (34)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)