Thursday, January 14, 2010
Old Home Week of 1907
Providence,RI,1907,Old Home Week Souvenir Postcard,7/28
Some text from a souvenir program:
A FEW FACTS ABOUT PROVIDENCE
Like Rome, a 'City of Seven Hills."
The Head of navigation on Narragansett Bay.
Rich in historic associations and proud of its honorable history.
Gratified by a present prosperity that it's rivalled by but few cities in the
world. Possessed of splendid institutions and unsurpassed educational advantages. Confident of its future, and with splendid advantages yet to be developed.
Fortunate in its environments, its superbly varied scenes of river and hill
and bay. A city government free from scandal, and municipal methods that are widely copied. The natural distributing point for New England for all products from South-
ern ports. A city of individual homes, of detached dwellings and a chance to expand in every direction. Providence is the center of the principal cotton manufacturing district in the United States.
Tt has the largest department market, and the largest drug store in America
and other department stores that have few equals.
Already provided with beautiful parks and popular playgrounds, with a splendic^ metropolitan park system now being laid out.
Noted for its clean streets and intelligent citizenship, the skilled character of its artisans and the exceptionally high grade of its manufactured products. The capitol city of Rhode Island, the most rapidly growing State and metropolis of Southern New England, probably the wealthiest district in the United States.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- 1918 Newport, RI Mercury News Weekly
- Potential Source of HPL's Lectures?
- Biggest and Brightest Full Moon of 2010 Tonight
- 1893 Nararangasett
- In the Vault: The Case of the Living-Dead Beekeep...
- I, Cthulhu
- Harper's Young People Series
- More On Aliens
- 1906 Ship in Harbor from Banigan Building
- More on Aliens
- S T Joshi's (Real) Web Site
- Carter Library Brown University
- 1934 HPL Post Card at Auction
- S T Joshi Site Revived !
- 5 Year Old Howard Plays "Trains"
- Providence Public Library (New) 1905
- Colour Out of Space Nearly Hits Doctor !
- Son of Yig Report: Snake Salvation?
- French Lovecraft "Rumor"
- Shameless Chrispy Plug
- Lovecraftian t-shirt
- Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
- Contra Lovecraft
- The Good Ship Providence
- alligators and lovecraft !!!
- Yig Alert: New Species Found
- Yig Report: Tiny Child of Yig?
- Poe Roundup (HPL's idol)
- Kappa Alpha Tau Report: 19 January 2010
- Yuggothian Unknowns: Revealed?
- Lovecraft's Anxiety?
- Lovecraft wrote to Derleth on 16 January 1931 that...
- Book Loot!
- Lovecraft on the Nordic Ideal
- Yig Alert! South Florida Under Attack?
- More Alfred Galpin
- Martian Weirdness!
- Alfred Galpin, 1959
- The Lamb of a Thousand Young?
- Old Home Week of 1907
- Shoggoth Alert! Half-Vegetable Slug?
- The City Hall, Providence, Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Hospital (c. 1907)
- Canceled Rail Tickets
- More Morgan Scorpion! Whisperer in the Darkness
- Rail Schedule: NYNH&H 1932
- And More HPL Typescripts
- Manuscript News
- Snow Rolls: Weird Nature
- SEEKONK RIVER FROM FORT HILL
- VERMONT AVE
- "Fish Heads"
- How to make a Giant Squid cake
- Lovecraft: Deaf !
- New Lovecraftian tales coming ...
- Octopus jealously guards his Mr Potato Head toy
- Some more on words ...
- The 1910 World of HPL
- "Alien": We are not alone!
- Elmwood Avenue
- More on words, words, words ...
- Dagon: Lovecraft's words
- Lovecraft's Words
- Clare Dwiggins: More
- Another Derleth Unique Item
- Thoughts by Chrispy
- Mark Owings
- Unique Derleth Item Recently Seen at Auction
- ▼ January (70)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)