In search of more clues as to why (if at all) HPL might have been selected by Houdini to assisst in battle against the Spiritualists, we have this gem. From Sonia's memoir, this quote is submitted by Casper Kelly.
"H.P. never called himself an American; he insisted that he was still an Englishman. Not only that, he regarded himself as a displaced Englishman, although he had never been in England. Apropos of this, he could describe thoroughly every part of London, Stonehenge, Stratford-upon-Avon, and many other places in England. In fact when he had ghost-written the story for Houdini he described Gaza so accurately that one would think he had been there."
It shows how impressive he was among his peers. In New York he associated with Hart Crane and other struggling artists luminaries, who were stunned by his affability on one hand and brilliance on the other. Recall elsewhere on the blog we mentioned that Houdini autographed his book to HPL "To my friend, Howard Lovecraft / Best Wishes, / Houdini / "My brain is the key that sets me free."
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- ► 2010 (494)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- Commentary on The Hound Part 7
- New Clue: Could HPL Have Ever Been a Spy?
- Commentary on The Hound Part 6
- Lovecraft's Brilliance: Annecdote Submitted by Cas...
- A Modern Vampire: Eerily Similar to Mercy Brown
- Commentary on The Hound part 5
- Henneberger, Weird Tales, Lovecraft, and Houdini?
- Lovecraft's Signature in his Copy of Arthur Machen...
- Commentary on The Hound Part 4
- Commentary on The Hound Part 3
- Ia! Yig Lives!
- Commentary on The Hound Part 2
- Christmas 1923 & Happly Holidays to YOU, the HPLbl...
- Commentary on The Hound Part 1
- Providence Views in Lovecraft's Youth
- The Ride of Cthulhu
- Cthulhu --- Found!! Breaking News 23 December 200...
- Halloween 1922
- Fumocy: Full Moons During Lovecraft's Life
- The Providence Train Depot
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Arkham House Collector Issue 2 Part 1
- Arkham House Collector Issue 1 Part 1
- Arkham House Collector Issue 2 Part 2
- Arkham House Collector Issue 1 Part 2
- Lovecraft Letter to E Hoffman Price, 1934 Part IV
- Lovecraft Letter to E Hoffman Price, 1934 Part 3
- Lovecraft Letter to E Hoffman Price, 1934 Part 2
- Lovecraft Letter to E Hoffman Price, 1934 Part 1
- Lovecraft's Dreaming: Part VI (Did He Lucid Dream?...
- Lovecraft's Dreaming Part V: Lucid Dreaming?
- Would HPL and Poe shudder??
- A Kappa Alpha Tau Report.
- 10 November 1926: A Day In The Life of HPL
- Lovecraft's Dreaming Part IV
- Lovecraft's Dreaming Part III
- Lovecraft's Dreaming Part II
- Lovecraft's Dreaming Part I
- The Dunwich Horror: Rare Newspaper Advertisement
- The Dunwich Horror: Movie Ephemera
- Announcing: Charles D. Allen & Chilling Tales of t...
- The Tryout
- Return of ... the Zobo.
- A Pause to Reflect: One Year. Thanks to All
- An Additional Rare Clipping Courtesy of Theo Paijm...
- Very Rare News Clipping: Courtesy of Theo Paijmans...
- The RootThat Ate Roger Williams
- Rare Lovecraft Obituary: Courtesy of Theo Paijman...
- Touch Lovecraft through astrophysics
- H. P. Albarelli, Jr.: New Update on The Awful: Wa...
- The Metaphor of the Octopus to Define Cthulhu
- Let's Learn More about J C Henneberger Part 2
- Long, Lovecraft, & Morton at Poe House
- Ian Derbyshire Reports: New Cthulhu Movie
- Typical Houdini Scene: 1925
- Gorham Silver Company: Lovecraft's Father's Employ...
- Let's Learn More about J C Henneberger Part 1
- The World of H P Lovecraft
- Lovecraft and Houdini According to Frank Belkanp L...
- ▼ December (61)