Lovecraft as a teen was deadly serious about astronomy. His math skills were weak - and would get worse - but his intuitiveness and studiousness was quite astounding.
In his Pawtuxett Valley Gleaner article of September 26, 1906: "...such an occulation happens ... when the moon, a large crescent, hides the star called "X2 Sagittarii" .... these occulations are among the most important occurences in astronomy, as they are the means of finding out that the moon has no dense atmosphere."
Lovecraft devoured everything he could get in the library, his star books, Scientific American , and what Dr. Winslow Upton (of Brown U. and the Ladd Observatory) loaned him.
* Occulation of a star on 25th of this month, an interesting phenomenon, Collected Essays: Volume 3: Science, Joshi, Hippocampus.
Interestingly, this week at science news astronomers report that they used the transit of a star passing behind Charon to determine its size and other physical properties just as Lovecraft knew scientists did with the moon.
"In the Jan. 5 Nature, two teams report that Charon's radius is 606 kilometers. Combined with Hubble Space Telescope measurements of Charon's mass, the new size estimate reveals that the moon has a density 1.71 times that of water—and about one-third the density of Earth.
"The lack of a substantial atmosphere supports the theory that Charon was released when an object struck Pluto. Scientists have similarly proposed that Earth's moon formed when a giant object struck the young Earth. "
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- ► 2010 (494)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- Cosmic Nihilism: Loren Eiseley, A Different Voice
- Lovecraftiana: Vampirella
- Ian Derbyshire
- Lovecraft Goes Ebay
- A Southern Indiana Hillside
- Lovecraft: Portrait
- Thank you!
- Astronomer Lovecraft: The Real Deal
- Lovecraft Lets His His Hair Down
- Recently Seen Autograph
- August Derleth on the Lovecraft of Legend
- Lovecraftiana: Jeffrey Thomas and Peter Worthy
- Lovecraft's Last Days
- Who was Brown Jenkin?
- Lovecraftiana: Disney
- Lovecraft’s Visit to Endless Caverns
- Lovecraft on the Weird Tale.
- Lovecraftiana: Henry Kuttner
- Lovecraftiana: Swords and Sorcery, 1963
- Lovecraft Meets The Jersey Devil
- Was Lovecraft Suicidal?
- Deconstructing From Beyond: Part 4
- Deconstructing From Beyond: Part 3
- Latest Elder God Research News !
- Deconstructing From Beyond: Part 2
- Lovecraft ... Meets ... Lorre!
- Deconstructing From Beyond: Part 1
- Lovecraft and Mathematics
- Lovecraftiana: Frank Belknap Long, Jr.
- Lovecraftiana: Letters From Outside
- Night Terrors
- The Trail of Cthulhu
- The Fun of Reading H.P.L.
- Interlude: Unnamable
- Robert M. Price
- The Inventive Mind of Lovecraft
- Interlude: Hypnos
- Lovecraftiana: Edith Miniter's Legends
- Interlude: Dagon
- Shunned House: Werewolves
- Interlude: Chrispy Sketches
- Lovecraft Should Have Written A Story on This!
- Guest Blog: Lovecraft in the Movies
- Young Lovecraft as Editor
- Chris Perridas' New Mythos Story
- Lovecraft Synopsis
- Die, Monster, Die
- ▼ February (51)