It is now 49 minutes to midnight on a worknight on the evening of 28 April 2010. I sit an type this so you can read about a month later - typos and all.
The first page is in black print, save two red-coated devils of some sort with serrated, Robin-masks, tip-pointed head-hoods, each mirror images of one anothr, and grasping or holding a gazing ball of some sort. A few pages in, a picture of Wilfred Talman is reproduced from 1935. At the rear is a photo of Lovecraft and Long.
The first card reproduced is Roger Williams. Now you must understand, I got this sight unseen (the Ebayeum images were teasing in their paucity) and it was a bit of a gambel. The letters of Talman seem barely to be mentioned by contemporary scholars, since they are postcards, few in number, and collateral and perhaps subserviant to the letters of Kliener, Galpin, Wandrei, Derleth, and REH now coming out.
So I scanned, with now very weary eyes, the few words of the first postcard and read, "Went up to Ladd Observatory last night for the first time in 20 years." Since it was dated "Feb. 9, 1927" does this, I wondered, imply that 1907 was the last eyar of his visits to Ladd Observatory?
Since Chrispy is in the midst of hundreds of pages of notebooks trying to piece together Lovecraft's youth from Humpty-Dumpty pieces with no "paint by number" color-codes this was an amazing find on the very first page.
I shall now go to sleep with implications and probabilities on the mind.
More .. later.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Hope Street High School (c. 1902) Part 2
- Hope Street High School (c. 1901) Part 1
- Rare Items (1967)
- Lovecraft's 1910 Correspondence Course
- 2500 posts ... oh my!
- Susan Lovecraft's Annual Income (1911)
- 1897 class of (?) Hope High School
- 1901 Hope Street High School Grad. Pamphlet
- Providence Theatre Program (circa 1900)
- Westminster Street (circa 1900)
- Colour Out of ... The Washington Post?
- Angell Street !! (1900)
- An Antiquarian Treasure: Read
- Breaking News: New Life Form Created
- An Antiquarian Treasure: Opened
- An Antiquarian Treasure
- What did Lovecraft think?
- There's Something About That Tillinghast Name ...
- Lovecraft in Context: 1924
- A Half-Dime Diner
- Lovecraft: Druggist? What might have been ...
- Providence Tercentenary 1936
- Varied Notes on "Slater Avenue Army"
- Frank Frazetta.
- Lovecraft to Loveman 12 February 1936
- An "Old One" as uncovered by F Paul Wilson
- Lovecraft to Smith (1934)
- Minor note on L Sprague de Camp
- Postcards of Lovecraft Sent to Talman
- Providence Opera House Fire !!! (1900)
- C J Jager and Co. Windmills, etc. (prior to 1915) ...
- Trolley Trips in 1901
- Lovecraft's Physical Ailments
- More on Sabrina Prouty
- Meteor Impacts Jakarta: "Colours" Populace
- Westminster, MA
- Rheumatic Fever Understanding as of 1901
- Another Note on Abbie Hathaway
- ▼ May (39)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)