Plastered with colorful Japanese stamps, and taped more tha King Tut's mummy, I began to whittle away at the invulnerable plastic. Minutes passed, and finally with much wheezing, and much ripping, the envelope gave up its contents - another wrapped layer. That was a bit easier, the heavy corrugated plied away from the next obstacle, a taped plastic bag!
At last, I slid the precious cargo out, and beheld the buff colored, somewaht parchment-textured cover resembling in a small fashion a chapbook. Inside, the reduced-sized, cream-colored paper was pristine in look, but bizarrely odiferous. I sniffed, thought, sniffed again, wondered, and then it struck me.
It wasn't cigarette smoke, but more likely a cross between cigar and pipe tobacco. The pages were unharmed - in fact they looked barely used, turned, read, or otherwise examined. But they had absorbed years of smoke.
I'm sure the smell will fad with time, but as a non-smoker, I'm especially compelled by the striking smeel of tobacco.
My parents smoked, chain smoked on may occassions. My grandmother did snuff. She and her husband raised tobacco for decades. I cringed, and nearly screamed, at my first sight of a big, thick, prickly, nub-legged, green tobacco worm. But I never smoked.
Well, now that the item slid forth on the evening of 28 April 2010, what next?
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Hope Street High School (c. 1902) Part 2
- Hope Street High School (c. 1901) Part 1
- Rare Items (1967)
- Lovecraft's 1910 Correspondence Course
- 2500 posts ... oh my!
- Susan Lovecraft's Annual Income (1911)
- 1897 class of (?) Hope High School
- 1901 Hope Street High School Grad. Pamphlet
- Providence Theatre Program (circa 1900)
- Westminster Street (circa 1900)
- Colour Out of ... The Washington Post?
- Angell Street !! (1900)
- An Antiquarian Treasure: Read
- Breaking News: New Life Form Created
- An Antiquarian Treasure: Opened
- An Antiquarian Treasure
- What did Lovecraft think?
- There's Something About That Tillinghast Name ...
- Lovecraft in Context: 1924
- A Half-Dime Diner
- Lovecraft: Druggist? What might have been ...
- Providence Tercentenary 1936
- Varied Notes on "Slater Avenue Army"
- Frank Frazetta.
- Lovecraft to Loveman 12 February 1936
- An "Old One" as uncovered by F Paul Wilson
- Lovecraft to Smith (1934)
- Minor note on L Sprague de Camp
- Postcards of Lovecraft Sent to Talman
- Providence Opera House Fire !!! (1900)
- C J Jager and Co. Windmills, etc. (prior to 1915) ...
- Trolley Trips in 1901
- Lovecraft's Physical Ailments
- More on Sabrina Prouty
- Meteor Impacts Jakarta: "Colours" Populace
- Westminster, MA
- Rheumatic Fever Understanding as of 1901
- Another Note on Abbie Hathaway
- ▼ May (39)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)