Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Frank Belknap Long (1974)


Recently Auctioned with seller's description:

SIGNED LETTER FROM FRANK BELKNAP LONG
TO PUBLISHER, ROY A. SQUIRES

To those of you familiar with Howard Phillips Lovecraft and his famous "Circle" of personalities and writers, few knew him better than Frank Belknap Long, his friend of more than fifteen years.

I offer here a two-page letter typed letter (unusual for Long as most of his letter were handwritten) to his friend and publisher Roy A. Squires. (Squires printed the fine-press booklet "The Marriage of Sir John de Mandeville" in 1976 in an edition of 225 numbered copies).

The letter is a rather sad missive, an apology for a year of not writing back to Squires, with explanations; and mentions of his upcoming publications..."I could and should have written... but my feeling of guilt kept mounting up and I kept putting it off...I can only say that the past year has been one of tension and strain without precedent in my experience...my wife was quite ill for months...I had to complete my Arkham House book...I had a hernia operation, and two paperback books to complete".

The letter is signed "Frank" in ballpoint pen. Included with the letter is the original mailing envelope with the authors full name and address printed in his own hand.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics