Wednesday, October 10, 2007

August Derleth Letter: 4 January 1954


{This is a bit afiled, but it is so interesting I had to post it. Oh my eyes are hurting from the strain, but here is what I was able to piece together and reconstruct the text... CP}

4 January, 1954
Dear Adolphe de Castro,
It was good to have your note and word(?), with the outlined verses - - which certainly testify that you are far from a fading scribbeler! I have thought of you from time to time, wondered whether you were still among us - -and find now to my delight that you are. In your ? ?! Well, I never read that - - won't soon come close. I've had Hypertension on and off for some time, and while I've brought the readings close to normal now, I don't have the energy I once had to write, though I am still keeping up my averages - - half a million new words last year, though mostly in junior books, now that WEIRD TALES is no more.
Our daughter April was born 17 months ago, and we hope to present her with a brother or sister sometime this year, though after that we'll have to stop, since I can't afford to raise more than two children, and with the debtload that seems to have been always with me, even that may be a risk. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. My junior books are selling well enough, and I have no right to complain - -? that I am writing the things I want to write, because ? necessarily ? ? to do what publishers want to publish.
Every good wish to Mrs. de Castro and yourself, from the three of us.
Cordially,
August Derleth.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics