When then Susan Phillips (b. 1857) was about 14, she attended then Wheaton Female Seminary (founded c. 1834) in Norton, Massachusetts. She only spent one year there, and Chrispy does not know why she left, nor read anything about this.
The timing is interesting, and hopefully research will bring new ideas as to why in 1872, Susan left the school.
Here is an article very near the time she attended -i.e. compiled from data from 1875. Note the importance given to French, a specialty and long an avocation of Susan's. Otherwise, here is a portrait of the life she lived there.
(You can expand the images in a new window by clicking)
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Lovecraft and High School
- Happy Thanksgiving !!!
- Mitchell Loses Election
- Lovecraft: circa 23 November 1926
- Why Did Lovecraft Fall From a House?
- Chrispy's Lovecraft Dream
- Providence Opera House Programs
- Nick Redfern Meets H. P. Lovecraft?
- Wheaton College and Susan Lovecraft
- Manton Campbell Mitchell Update
- Tracking the Elusive Lovecraft: 13-15 December 18...
- The Vermont Flood Really Happened !
- Margaret Mather Died - and Tracking the Elusive Lo...
- What Would Lovecraft Say?
- The Digital Internet Era and Lovecraft
- ▼ November (17)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)