Monday, August 16, 2010
Tracking the elusive Lovecraft: A TR Date !
In biographies of Lovecraft, it's stated that Lovecraft saw his hero Teddy Roosevelt at the Providence Opera House on August 1912.
A specific date can be given to this event. On 12 August 1912 in Chicago, the Progressive Party, nicknamed the Bull MooseParty, convened and nominated Theodore Roosevelt for their presidential candidate after the Republican convention was shattered by a split between Taft and Roosevelt.
Just days later, on 16 August 1912, a speech was given that Lovecraft attended. This was a reprisal of a previous triumphant appearance back in August of 1902. (See 23 August 2010 post, upcoming).
After the Bull Moose convention, Roosevelt stormed New England:
Providence, Rhode Island, 16 August 1912
A Speech on Boston Common 17 August 1912
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 22 August 1912
Burlington, Vermont 29 August 1912
St. Johnsbury, Vermont, 30 August 1912
Hartford, Connecticut, 2 September 1912
For Lovecraftians, it is often hard to nail down a specific date and time for the young Lovecraft. This is at one date that we can pin down with exact precision.
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Obituary: Ruth Muriel Eddy (21 May 2009)
- Muriel Eddy, President of Writer's Group
- Paul, Minion of Cthulhu, Is Worshipped
- Lovecraft Letter Uncovered in Indiana
- A "Colourful" 1888 Story about Jack Rabbits?
- Lovecraft Interactive Online Films
- Manton Mitchell: Update (24 July 1909)
- Alpheus Packard writes a book: Lamarck
- Cautionary Note: William Vernon Phillips
- Theodore Roosevelt 23 August 1902
- Not a Shoggoth ... Not Nyarlathotep ... it is a .....
- A Lovecraftian Sight: Flying Minions of Cthulhu?
- Happy 120-th, Mr. Lovecraft!
- Evangeline Larry: Teacher of Violin
- International Correspondence School (Modern Image)...
- Providence Depot (1896) on Fire !
- Tracking the elusive Lovecraft: A TR Date !
- The Call of Cthulhu: One Man Show
- International Correspondence School (3)
- International Correspondence School (2)
- Winfield Scott Lovecraft, dead in his 45th year
- Oscar C Roy
- Money Lovecraft Would Wished to have Used !
- The Tomb, 1947
- International Correspondence School (1)
- Joe Pulver !!!
- Lovecraft Almost Dies: In Context
- Chrispy Update
- Lovecraft Sketch: L W Currey Auction
- More on Derleth in Saturday Review (1959)
- The Lobster! In Yellow!
- The Limbonaut
- Derleth in Saturday Review
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)