Lovecraft wrote about ancient and alien life forms. Today we are meeting them face to face. These are creatures that lived here. What awaits us ... out there?
Ancient creature from 425million years ago revealed for first time in new 3D image
A 3D computer mode of a primitive Drakozoon has been created from the only known fossilised specimen of the creature.
Drakozoon lived in the ocean during the Silurian Period, 444 to 416 million years ago, and today's model hints at how it lived. The research reveals that Drakozoon was a cone-shaped creature with a hood and it probably had a leathery exterior skin.
It was approximately 3mm long, and used filament-bearing tentacles to catch and eat organic particles in seawater. It pulled its hood down over its body for protection against predators, pulling it back again to expose its tentacles when danger passed.
Dr Mark Sutton, from the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, says: 'We think this tiny blob of jelly survived by clinging onto rocks and hard shelled creatures, making a living by plucking microscopic morsels out of seawater.
'By looking at this primitive creature, we also get one tantalising step closer to understanding what the earliest creatures on Earth looked like.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1300238/The-blob-deep-Ancient-creature-425million-years-ago-revealed-time-new-3D-image.html#ixzz0vvVtTm3j
Thursday, August 12, 2010
- ► 2012 (17)
- ► 2011 (114)
- Obituary: Ruth Muriel Eddy (21 May 2009)
- Muriel Eddy, President of Writer's Group
- Paul, Minion of Cthulhu, Is Worshipped
- Lovecraft Letter Uncovered in Indiana
- A "Colourful" 1888 Story about Jack Rabbits?
- Lovecraft Interactive Online Films
- Manton Mitchell: Update (24 July 1909)
- Alpheus Packard writes a book: Lamarck
- Cautionary Note: William Vernon Phillips
- Theodore Roosevelt 23 August 1902
- Not a Shoggoth ... Not Nyarlathotep ... it is a .....
- A Lovecraftian Sight: Flying Minions of Cthulhu?
- Happy 120-th, Mr. Lovecraft!
- Evangeline Larry: Teacher of Violin
- International Correspondence School (Modern Image)...
- Providence Depot (1896) on Fire !
- Tracking the elusive Lovecraft: A TR Date !
- The Call of Cthulhu: One Man Show
- International Correspondence School (3)
- International Correspondence School (2)
- Winfield Scott Lovecraft, dead in his 45th year
- Oscar C Roy
- Money Lovecraft Would Wished to have Used !
- The Tomb, 1947
- International Correspondence School (1)
- Joe Pulver !!!
- Lovecraft Almost Dies: In Context
- Chrispy Update
- Lovecraft Sketch: L W Currey Auction
- More on Derleth in Saturday Review (1959)
- The Lobster! In Yellow!
- The Limbonaut
- Derleth in Saturday Review
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)