Saturday, February 19, 2011
Shoggoth Alert! "'Nessie" Seen Again?
Ok, so maybe it is a stretch to call Nessie a shoggoth. [ed. As comments below, it was not Loch Ness, but another lake, in England. I have corrected the header.] However, it is frustrating not to see Steve Alten's theory not taken seriously. If you don't know it, then I will briefly summarize it. In his book The Loch and in subsequent interviews and guest appearances, Alten promoted the idea that a species of large eel lived in the Loch. It is a known species that has perhaps become entrapped, or mutated to a very large size.
In any event, SOMETHING is there in that Lake.
Part of the news report below with a link to the rest.
The photograph, which shows an object with three humps breaching the surface of the lake, is said to be the best evidence yet of what some claim is a monster lurking beneath the depths.
It was taken on a camera phone by Tom Pickles, 24, while kayaking on the lake as part of a team building exercise with his IT company, CapGemini, last Friday.
Mr Pickles said he saw an animal the size of three cars speed past him on the lake and watched it for about 20 seconds.
He said: “It was petrifying and we paddled back to the shore straight away. At first I thought it was a dog and then saw it was much bigger and moving really quickly at about 10mph.
“Each hump was moving in a rippling motion and it was swimming fast Its skin was like a seal’s but it’s shape was completely abnormal – it’s not like any animal I’ve ever seen before."
“I only saw it for a few seconds but all I could think about was that I had to get off the lake.” More
Steve Bump (circa 2006 - 2007)
"In summer 2006, I was on holiday at the Dower House at Wray Castle. It was the first Sunday of a week-long holiday around lunchtime. I was walking along the lake with my wife and two friends and we'd walked up to Watbarrow Point which juts out into the lake about 40ft above the water.
"... the lake was very quiet because the speeding ban had come in. The previous year it would have been full of people on jet skis, but then the lake was like glass. We just stood chatting and I saw it – similar to the classic three lumps that you get in the Loch Ness pictures; I could see a head with swirling water and then a grey lump, more swirling water, and another grey lump.
"But the most remarkable thing was that it was really moving. My jaw just dropped open and I said: 'Look at that!' My wife also saw it but very quickly it moved up the lake. I estimated it to be at least 30ft long. I wouldn't believe anyone else if they told me – but I saw it and I know what I saw."
- ► 2012 (17)
- Palo Moyombe?
- Bodies Stolen in New Jersey
- Get Ready Fans: Lovecraft Issue Coming!
- What the Moon Brings (Morgan Scorpion)
- The Wizard of Oz Comes to Providence
- Necromancy? or Utility?
- Borders: Not Quite R.I.P.
- Invoice to the Insane Hospital
- Conspiratorial Horror and Steve Alten
- W. H. Pugmire
- Shoggoth Alert! "'Nessie" Seen Again?
- Houdini, Sonia, Lovecraft, and Satanism?
- Lovecraft's Legacy
- James Blish (1937) "The Eldritch Goo"
- The Mound - Newspaper References (1925-1926)
- The Original Source of the John Willis Tale
- Mars Has a National Anthem ?
- Howard Lovecraft and The Frozen Kingdom:
- Little Girl Allergic to Cold
- National Anthem, Lovecraft and Robert Ripley
- Lovecraft is Taken Seriously in Europe
- 2,750 !!
- It's time for some ... Hillside Thickets !
- Lovecraft to C A Smith on Aleister Crowley
- STJ and Larry Roberts: New Mythos Venture
- ▼ February (26)
- ► 2010 (494)
- ► 2009 (586)
- ► 2008 (550)
- ► 2007 (627)
- ► 2006 (388)