Sunday, November 29, 2009

More Fungus I Have Known

Here is a startling white, slaby kind of fungus. It just seems to have popped out of the grooves of the bark. On one of the images, you can see bluish-gray lichen also on the tree. In the lower section, kids have either scuffed the bark, or a lawnmower has barked the tree ages ago. This may have allowed more nutrients to seep, as opposed to the less expansive colonies at the top of the tree.







Above are several views of the same cluster of fleshy fungus.
Below, farther up the tree is older material already turned rusty and dried up. I've been unable to get bac to the park, but I suppose the entire mass has turned and dried up by now. I think this was on 8 November 2009.

1 comment:

AlanDP said...

I work as a water meter reader in central Texas, and a couple of times I have come across very large fungi growing inside meter boxes. My cell phone doesn't take very good photos, but for what it's worth, here's the link to one I took last June.

http://blogonomicon.blogspot.com/2009/06/lurking-fungus.html

Followers

Blog Archive

Facebook:

Google Analytics